Friday 26 April 2013

Birthdays with Bling Tutorial!!

Hello a very nervous Alethea here sharing with you my very first tutorial!!! I absolutely love creating cards, OTP things etc but to share with someone else how to do that step by step was a bit daunting for me... Not because it's hard but because I thought I had to come up with something unique that you had never learnt before!! Well if that is the case, then I have failed miserably because today I am going to share with you how I turned a boring old brown box into a gorgeous birthday present that I absolutely love!!! It is in fact my birthday today and this weeks challenge that will be going live soon was based around birthdays. I bought a watch earlier in the year for my boys to give me for my birthday and it didn't come in a box. I was happy with them just wrapping it but then came up with the idea of decorating it....  so join me in the steps to make this adorable gift box... I hope that inspires you to turn something blah to something WOW!!
This will be picture heavy but well worth reading till the bottom....

I started with this plain old boring box!!
 

 
I was just going to wrap paper around the box then decorate it with images but from previous experience knew that the paper just doesn't sit right so I decided to use a pink Adirondack Paint dabber (pink sherbert). I only inked the edges and the inside and flaps of the lid of the box.

I then printed out some digi papers from the Fredericka mini CD collection using my favourite colours!! I alternated the two colours putting green on the top and blue on the bottom. I just measured the box first then cut the squares slightly smally so I could see the inked edges!
Then I started decorating! I did each side separately so stuck the image down and added embellishments as I wasn't quite sure what I was going to put on each side!!! Polka Doodles have so many images on their CD collections so I looked through to see what I would like and found these adorable Winnie images on the Double Sprinkle of Kraft CD Rom. Again this image was cut out slightly smaller than the patterned paper so it looks like a border!! I then added a couple of rhinestones and kindyglitz. (keeping the birthdays with bling them in mind plus I love lots of sparkle)

While the first side was drying I found the perfect sentiment to finish the "Just to say' sentiment on the first image! This sentiment tag is also from the Double Sprinkle of Kraft CD Rom. I decided to leave the background border on this one. I stuck this tag down with foam tape for a bit of dimension. Once it was stuck down I decided I wanted to add the twine!! Obviously if you have planned what you are doing you would put the twine on before sticking the patterned paper down! Then I added the Doodle Dew Drops above the tag. The buttons that spell out mum were a bonus find in my button stash! Just perfect for this tag!! I also added kindyglitz to the little flowerpot.
For the third side I added another pre-coloured winnie image from the Double Sprinkle of Kraft CD Rom.  I didn't do much to this image as far as embellishments go, just went over the flowers with a glitter pen and added the one rhinestone!

For the final side I used another tag sentiment!! This one is stuck on with foam dots, then added kindyglitz for bling and more rhinestones!!
For the top I added another tag, twine and rhinestones!!! Remember it's all about the bling factor!!! Now of course you could decorate your gift box anyway yoou wanted, with the Polka Doodle CD Rom's the possibilities are endless!!!
Here are some more views of the gift box to see it altogether!!


 
Doesn't it look gorgeous!!! I perhaps should have painted the inside of the box, didn't think about it till I took this photo!!!
I hope that you have learnt something today and that my tutorial was clear!! I tend to babble a bit so I'm sorry about that!!
Be sure to stop by later for the latest challenge here at Polka Doodles!!
Until Next time... Enjoy
Alethea xx
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on first tut. Your box looks great, very pretty. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thats great. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thats great. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's gorgeous Alethea. A fab tutorial and would never have known it's a first.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant tutorial Alethea, love the colours and the cute images.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful wonderful - well done - love the details!! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great tutorial Aletha. Love the box you made! Hope you ad a fantastic birthday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, if thats your first blog then I am really looking forward to reading your future ones. Thanks its very informative and makes easy reading.

    ReplyDelete

Team Doodle loves to see your comments so let us know what you are up to!