Thursday 7 March 2013

Studio 12 - Vintage Memories

Hi there, it's Fliss here today with a very vintage piece of Studio 12 inspiration for you which came about because whilst looking for something else, I came across this absolutely gorgeous vintage photo of my husband's grandmother and her sister snapped around 1910.
The 2 girls look so sweet in their frilly frocks and flowery hats that I couldn't resist making something to show them off looking very pretty. The beautiful papers I used are all from the first Studio 12 Picknix Collection 1 CD - All Sewn Up Collection which is my favourite on the CD.



I started off with an 8x10 inch canvas board which I covered with strips of paper which I tore with the aid of a ruler. It's a really great way to use up some of those leftover scraps as you don't have to use just strips, any pieces can be given the same treatment.
I glued the strips to the canvas board with PVA glue, wrapping ends round the back of the canvas and brushing more glue on top to anchor down any stray sticking up bits. When it was dry it was a little dark for my purpose so I dry brushed the whole board with antique linen acrylic paint. You can see in the second pic that this softens the look beautifully.
I die cut a clock and inked this up with Gathered Twigs Distress ink then glued it to a mat of the same rose paper used on the canvas board - can you see the contrast?
I cut out the 2 girls from the photo background leaving a small border of the dark grey to make the images pop.
I assembled the canvas board as you see, adding a paper rose and leaves together with a vintage butterfly (from my vintage butterfly illustration book) and some inked die cut lace.

I hope you like my little vintage creation and that it might inspire you to create something similar yourselves - I always think the vintage photos are the best and this is a great way to make sure they get put on display rather then hidden away in an album.

Fliss xx

3 comments:

  1. Oh Fliss this is a beautiful keepsake. I bet it will be treasured for generations.
    Hugs
    Anj
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww.....this is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Fliss that is gorgeous canvas and how beautiful are those photos!!!!. Hugs Clare xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Team Doodle loves to see your comments so let us know what you are up to!