Friday 5 February 2010

Week 5 Challenge - Paper Piecing

Hi, hope everyone has had a doodletastic week!

Claire here, its my turn to set you a challenge - how fun! I love paper piecing, I have to say it is possibly my next favourite thing to chocolate and my family and friends (I should say not in that order).

For anyone who isn't sure what the Paper Piecing technique is, you basically stamp the same image onto different papers and then cut out different parts of the image from each one to make up the final design. Obviously when you use CD's or digital images this is easier as you can just print your image onto the papers and then cut them out. It's a great way of getting different looks to the same stamp design and adding textures etc. The most important thing to remember is have fun, we will all enjoy visiting you and seeing your creations.

Please bear in mind that to be considered for a prize you should combine no more then 10 challenges (including Polkadoodles).

The winners from challenge 3 which was the sketch are:

First Place: Lynne in NI

Second Place: Tammy

Third Place: Jenny

Please email Nikky for further details and blinkies! Congratulations!

Our Guest Designer for February is the lovely Teri, who I'm sure you are all familiar with. We love Teri's work so we asked her to do her own spin our challenges throughout the month, and she'll be using the Back To Nature CD.
"I've never really done much paper piecing before so this was a newie for me", funny Teri, we would never have guessed, this is lovely!


Enfys - For mine I could not resist giving her some gingham dungarees, love this paper. All the papers I used are from Back To Nature. My random stitching around the edge is fake, I did the stitches with an unthreaded sewing machine on the back of the paper and then joined the dots.


Ruth: For mine I have enlarged one of the cupcakes from Love and Cherish and the papers too. I've cut the papers and then embellished them with tiny seed beads, layering up where needed. For those eagle eyed Polkadoodlers you'll notice this is a mirror image - I printed the papers on the wrong side!


Kerry - I’ve used allsorts of techniques on here, paper piecing, stamping and clear embossing, which I hope you can see on the pink card. All papers are from the Sugar Birdies CD.


Claire - I opted to use the new Love and Cherish Cd. All the elements come from the Cd with just a few sparkles added for bling.The birds and flowers are just ideal for paperpiecing and Love Birds just seems so right at this romantic time of year....


Fliss : For my card I've used a mix of 2 CDs, Back to Nature and Love and Cherish. The sweet image and green paper plus the cut out flowers and grass all came from Back to Nature and the pink polka dot paper from Love and Cherish. I just printed the image on to the pink and green papers and cut out parts for the paper piecing. The rest of the image is coloured with Promarkers. The flowery paper and around the image were done with the Polka Doodles Daisy Doodles stamp set and my own Millefiori stamping technique. For a tutorial on how to do this please see the sidebar on my blog.

Kate: I have used several cds for this one , i love how all the cds can be mixed together on one project and still match !- Polly was on jingle jangles , her wings from papers on back to nature and her dress, alphabet and the main background from candy doodles and sugar birdies (I think).



Dolly: I've used pink and white spotty and stripey papers from Love and Cherish and paper pieced Sherman the pig stampie from Back to Nature. The alphas are from Back to Nature too.

Brenda I used the Back to Nature CD, taking my colour theme from the stripy paper, machine stitched one panel for the piercing and coloured two images with Copics and decoupaged. The two flowers are made from plain white paper and striped with lilac Glimmer Mists.
Nettie: I have used this cute topper from the Love and Cherish CD and used the papers from Love and Cherish. I also coloured this little lady in with my Promarkers. I also have used a few quilled flowers to embellish my card.


To be in with a chance of winning some Polkadoodles goodies please have your project with Mr Linky by Sunday 14th February 12.00 noon GMT

Looking forward to popping by and seeing what you have been creating this week!


8 comments:

  1. Fabulous DT cards ladies!! Thank you so much for inviting me to be GDT for February! Looking forward to the rest of the month!
    BIG hugs,
    Teri xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooohh these are SPECTACULAR!! So much talent,wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super gorgeous creations, hoping to have a go, you'll enjoy your guest post Teri,I loved it, so much variety on the cd's to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the DT cards this week really must get more of the cds.
    Karen x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely cards i dont have any polka doodles items do i need them to enter the challenges?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to post here but I do not have everyone's email addys. I just wanted to say:

    Thanks so much for the well wishes. I'm hoping to be back as a guest or back on the team at some point. I have just gotten myself completely overwhelmed with my personal life at the moment. Too much going on. The snow has really done a number on our home, our internet access (we live very far in the country and have to have a special tower to run internet - well the snow/sleet took it down and now we have to replace it - very expensive), we lost our gutters due to the weight of the snow which now have to be replaced etc. I just can't keep up with everything at the moment. LOL

    The Polka Doodles team has been one of my very favorite and you gals are an absolute ball to play with!! I love the product and I love you girls. I do hope to be back in one capacity or another once "life" settles down for me. I will definitely be keeping an eye on you all!!

    Thanks again for the warm wishes and keep up the fantastic work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great challenge this week, here's my entry

    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great DT cards... I've just entered a card but I think I read the instructions wrong! Think mine is actually decoupage rather than paper piecing! Sorry! Just ignore it! lol! jenny

    ReplyDelete

Team Doodle loves to see your comments so let us know what you are up to!